Tuesday, November 4, 2008

o.j. simpson and tonya harding

Kigali is beautiful. I’m already quite taken by the charm of this city, and all its interesting character. For instance, did you know…
- Plastic shopping bags have been banned by the government of Rwanda.
- In September, the Rwandan parliament became the first parliament in the world to hold majority female representation (56%).
- Each month, Rwanda observes ‘Umuganda,’ a compulsory community service day. Even the President can be seen planting trees.

This week our classes are in full swing. We begin each morning with Issues of Peacebuilding with Pastor Pastor Anastase Rugirangoga at his organization, Peace Healing and Reconciliation Programme (PHARP). On the first day of class, we were ushered into the back courtyard for morning devotions with one of the peace groups supported by PHARP. The group is made up of a few dozen young women, all orphaned by the genocide in 1994. The women meet to build relationships with each other, heal from the trauma, and learn tailoring skills to provide opportunities for income generation. After a round of introductions the morning devotions began, and soon turned into a dance party with everyone pulling each other into the stampede. Dancing between strangers has a way of breaking through the awkwardness of differences in language and culture. I certainly hope this becomes a morning routine…

Actualizing the history of the genocide has been quite overwhelming for me. Kigali has come leaps and bounds since 1994, and if you did not know the history of Rwanda, you would be eerily ignorant of the horror that took place here. On Sunday, walking to a coffee shop after church, I happened to pass by the Hotel des Mille Collines (the hotel of ‘Hotel Rwanda’). Today, the upscale resort lies in the midst of a sleepy tree-lined neighborhood. Rwanda needs, and wants, to be remembered for more than the genocide. Regardless, walking down the streets I sometimes can’t help but stop and wonder what unfolded on the spot I stand, or whose bodies laid in the ditch. 800,000 died in 100 days. This was only 14 years ago. Some numbers are difficult to comprehend.

On Monday, we visited the Kigali Memorial Center. A particularly impactful part of the memorial was a room called, ‘Lost Tomorrow.’ The room held pictures and descriptions of children who were killed in the genocide. I share these quotes with you not to shock you, guilt you, and certainly not to give you a picture of ‘what Africa is like.’ This is only a glimpse into the humanity in the stories I am hearing…

Aurore Kirezi – age 2
Favorite drink: cow’s milk
Favorite game: hide and seek games with her big brother
Behavior: very talkative
Cause of death: burnt alive at the Gikondo Chapel

Mami Mpinganzima – age 12
Favorite food: chips with mayonnaise
Enjoyed: traditional dance
Favorite Song; The Beauty of Woman
Last words: ‘Mum, where can I run to?’
Cause of death: shot dead

Thierry Ishimwe – age 9 months
Favorite drink: mother’s milk
Behavior: cried a lot
Characteristics: a small and weak boy
Cause of death: machete in his mother’s arms

Fillette Uwase – age 2
Favorite toy: doll
Favorite food: rice and chips
Best friend: her dad
Behavior: a good girl
Cause of death: smashed against a wall

David Mugiraneza – age 10
Favorite sport: football
Enjoyed: making people laugh
Dream: becoming a doctor
Last words: ‘UNAMIR will come for us’
Cause of death: tortured to death

Ariane Umutoni – age 4
Favorite food: cake
Favorite drink: milk
Enjoyed: singing and dancing
Behavior: a neat little girl
Cause of death: stabbed in her eyes and head

I was the same age as many of these children in 1994, yet the worlds we experienced were radically different. In April, I was turning eight. I remember the O.J. Simpson trial. I remember the Tonya Harding ice skating fiasco. I don’t remember a word about Rwanda.

These are just a few of the thoughts swimming around. More to ponder later.

Wishing you peace this week.

Much Love,
Elizabeth

3 comments:

Devin said...

Kigali sounds really interesting. I hope you are learning a ton (though, duh!, you are Moreno). You are missed. Come back and share your stories with us!

Anonymous said...

When the story of a holocaust is share in such a personal way, it is very overwhelming. But silence and denial is much worst. How many untold stories of pain and suffering. We can only hope that good will prevail in the long run and that humanity is able to recognize it's wrongs from time to time. Thank you for sharing! Take good care of yourself! Love, Pop

Unknown said...

this is hard. thanks for sharing.

I don't remember hearing about Rwanda at all either. in 1994 I was 6.

I hope you are doing well and I look forward to hearing more about your semester in Tall Timber!

- Kristin