With many bittersweet farewells, my semester in East Africa finally came to an end. And now the transition has begun. Oh my. It is a process that will need much grace.
During our debriefing sessions, we each created our "elevator speeches." It is essentially our 30 second response to the ever daunting question, "How was Africa?" My speech goes something like this...
"How was Africa?"
"Well I don't know about all of Africa, but I did see a bit of Uganda and Rwanda. It was an incredible opportunity, I had an amazing time, and I'm so thankful I had the chance to go. You should too! Uganda and Rwanda are absolutely beautiful. And I saw an amazing amount of diversity between and within them. They are much more than the images of Africa you see on TV. I learned that development work, and peacebuilding, are incredibly messy, complex, and confusing. I learned a lot in my time abroad, but mostly I learned that I really know nothing. But I guess that is a starting point..."
So that is my short spiel. If you'd like to hear more, I love coffee : )
I spent a lovely Christmas break at home, two days in Spokane, and now I'm off on a new adventure. I'm spending my Jan Term in snowy Leavenworth, WA at Tall Timber Ranch, taking a class on Christian Spirituality. I won't have any internet or phone access, but if you happen to be inclined to snail mail, my address is:
Elizabeth Moreno
Tall Timber Ranch
27875 White River Rd.
Leavenworth, WA. 98826
Thank you so much for reading my blog, and for staying in contact during my time abroad. I can't thank so many of you enough for you comments, notes, emails, and prayers. I can't wait to see many of you soon and to hear all about the happenings in your own lives for the past few months!
Much Love,
Elizabeth
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment